Chartered on July 6th, 1932
The original name of the club was the Bronx Acorn Political Club. It derived its name from Julie Korn, a Bronx District Leader, who allowed the use of his headquarters by the members of the club. Even in the early years, the members were aware of the importance of political education and involvement.
The Bronx Acorn Social Club was one of the five original administrative clubs of Local Union #3 that were established under the new Business Manager, Harry Van Arsdale, Jr. These clubs were created to help unify the membership of Local Union #3, because at that time there was much internal strife within the union. The five original chartered clubs consisted of the Bronx Acorn Club, the Colony Club, Kingsboro Club, the Allied Club and the Staten Island Electrical Club.
During the early years of the club, Local Union #3 consisted only of the construction division. All other work in the electrical industry was done by non-union workers. The work opportunity for our members at this time was primarily during the months from April through October. It was during this period of unemployment that Harry Van Arsdale, Jr. with the assistance of the members from the Bronx Acorn Club, as well as the other administrational clubs, took upon the task upon the task of organizing workers not then affiliated with Local Union #3. It was due to the tireless efforts of these men that we now have the tremendous organization, Local Union #3.